When Should You See A Dermatologist?
Visit a dermatologist if
- Rashes that are itchy and irritating and never disappear. Eczematous dermatitis is characterized by uncomfortable inflammation, irritating and itchy skin that persists. If you are confident this irritation and itching is not a case of being allergic to a product you are using, then pay a visit to a dermatologist.
- Stubborn acne that never disappears with over-counter products. A mixture of a benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid when applied routinely can help in controlling moderate breakouts of acne. If the acne persists, then visit a dermatologist.
- Discoloration of the skin and moles that are abnormal may be cancerous. If the moles are asymmetric, have irregular borders, raises above the skin, and increases in size considerably and shows color variation, then this is alarming.
- Stretch marks and cellulite. Companies may sell their products by promising to clear all your stretch marks. In most cases, they are lying. So you need a dermatologist, they can carry laser treatments on you to improve the situation.
• Scar treatment. Over-the-counter products can treat small scars, but when it is a deep one which is raised and thick, you might need a dermatologist to depress the raised ones and resets the deep ones.
• Red marks that result from acnes and blemishes. For the red marks that never disappear or heal by themselves, they need the attention of dermatologists.
When should you not see a dermatologist?
• If you are impatient. You might yawn for an instant result after your treatment. Mostly, they do not work overnight, and so you need to give it time before you conclude that your condition is being stubborn.
• General skin care information. Dermatologists are not taught on skin-care products and formulation in general. Their center of interest is usually skin diseases in the school. Information on skin-care is gotten from people who work for cosmetic companies or in conferences. Therefore, go to a dermatologist for skin diseases and not general skin-care information.
How do dermatologists help you?
• A dermatologist can assist you with diagnosis and treatment of hair, nail and skin diseases.
• Exclusively, they are taught in helping you manage your skin. It could be rashes from any cause, drug reactions, and allergies, acnes or hair loss.
• Dermatologists can make you look the best you can by treating scars and carrying out laser treatments on you to treat veins, wrinkles, and age spots.
• They can give you compressive advice on skin care, skin cancer treatment, laser treatments and rejuvenation treatments.